Happy 2014! We hope everyone has been enjoyed the holiday season and that the back-to-work-blues haven’t been too tough to deal with. We had such a refreshing break but it’s good to be back home putting our energies back into Happy Skincare. We’re convinced this year is going to be a big one for us.
One of the biggest pains about Aussie summers is the mosquito bites. Chances are that over the past month you to have been dinner for a swarm of hungry mosquitoes. Our little boy and his cousin were feasted upon while sleeping at Nan’s house. They were both covered in bites.
Without thinking twice we slathered them in calamine lotion because that’s what happened to us as kids. We were covered in the pink paint every summer. But if you didn’t want to be covered in pink dots? Or you’re looking for a natural solution what else can you use to help the itch from mosquito bites?
7 natural mosquito bite remedies
Here is a list of folk remedies which some people swear by. We can’t say that they all work 100% but if you need some relief they may be worth a try.
Banana peel – we don’t know why this may work, but some people have reported relief after rubbing the bite with the inside of a banana peel.
Basil– has anti-inflammatory properties which can soothe bites. Basil is also effective at repelling mozzies so at least after rubbing yourself with basil you shouldn’t get any more bites.
Ice – cools the bite reducing inflammation and itchiness. Also one of the easiest and quickest remedies if you have an ice pack ready to go in the fridge.
Baking Soda – has an alkaline compound that may neutralise the pH of your skin which may reduce the itch.
Apple Cider Vinegar – contains malic acid which is known to soothe red and itchy skin. If you scored the double whammy and are sunburnt as well a cool bath with apple cider vinegar will soothe both and provide some much needed relief.
Salt – make a paste of water and salt and apply to the bite site. Or if you are still near the beach go for a swim. A salt bath will also work.
Epsom Salt – another age old remedy for soothing a variety of skin problems including bites. Having a cool bath is the easiest way and it also relieves tired aching muscles from that New Year’s resolution to get fitter
Tamanu Oil – the South Pacific Islanders use this to heal bites, and they have plenty of bugs! You can read more about this in our shop.
DIY natural mosquito repellant
The best mozzie remedy of all is to not get eaten in the first place! So here’s a recipe for a natural mosquito repellant that you can make yourself at home.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 3-4 tbsp of dried mint, thyme, rosemary, a few cloves and 1 cinnamon stick.
- Mix well, cover and let cool (covering is important to keep the volatile oils in!)
- Strain herbs out
- Add 2 tbsp of vodka (or any white spirit alcohol)
- Add 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. (Castor, Olive, Sunflower or Grape seed all work but Soybean oil is the best)
- Fill and label a spray bottle in keep in a cool place (fridge is best because it keeps it cool and it will last longer)
- Use as needed for those outdoor summer BBQ’s (shake before spraying).
Optional mosquito repellant booster – If you have tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil in the house you can add 20 drops of either.
The new Super-Sized Sample Pack
Our ever popular sample pack is bigger and better. It is probably one of the few things that we are happy to be bigger after Christmas
We have made this change for 3 reasons
- Many of you gave us the feedback that you wished the sample pack to bigger
- We decided to stop making the travel pack and instead make the sample pack big enough to last a 2 week holiday
- We wanted to give you a way to sample the Perfectly Happy Anti-Ageing Cream (you can now choose to add it to the sample pack)
The price has slightly increased but we have kept it as low as possible with plenty of extra value. You now receive over $40 of value for $15.95. It still comes with free postage and a $9.90 Next Purchase voucher. Check it out here.
The post Eaten Alive On Holiday? Weird and Wonderful (Natural) Remedies for Mosquito Bites appeared first on Happy Skincare.