Out of the blue on Friday morning we set a personal goal for when Aaron hits 40 (still a couple of years off). The goal is for us both to complete a half ironman triathlon. We don’t know what inspired it, Aaron just put it out there and we both said “let’s do it”.
Even though it is a few years away we need to start working on it now otherwise the time will come and we won’t be prepared and we’ll be setting new record times for the wooden spoon.
As always, even though we were talking triathlons it turned into a conversation about skincare and how our skin changes as we age. Especially when life really begins when you hit the 4-0 (or so they say!).
What’s going on with your skin at 40?
This is the time where you really start to notice that your skin is becoming thinner and drier. That is because our old mates collagen and elastin aren’t visiting as much anymore.
Your blood circulation has slowed down and now delivers nutrients to your skin slower than a dodgy restaurant on New Year’s Eve. This has a knock-on effect to cell turnover and regeneration. In your 20’s your skin would renew every 28 days, now it is doing it in about 40 days.
You can still have amazingly vibrant skin skin at 40 (and beyond) – all this means is that you need to give you skin some extra TLC to keep it that way.
Top TLC Tips for skin after you turn 40
These may sound very familiar (since they really apply to any age group) but there are few minor tweaks you can make to get the most out of your skincare routine as your skin changes.
- Be gentle – use moisturising cleansers and hydrating toners all year round. We’ve got you covered with the Cloud 9 Cleansing Balm or 3 Cheers Cleansing Oil and the Raindrops on Roses Hydrating Tonic
- Exfoliate– this helps your cells turn over and your skin to renew which keeps you looking vibrant. You can either use an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) exfoliator or very gentle physical exfoliant like the Pig In Mud Mineral Mask or a DIY bicarb soda microdermabrasion. Don’t forget tip 1 – Be Gentle
- Moisturise – Your skin is now producing less oil so facial oils like the Laugh Out Loud Active Jojoba Oil or Good Vibes Omega Facial Oil are a perfect choice. You can also look for a richer cream with good levels of anti-oxidants to provide your skin with the extra hydration nourishment it requires. ( Next week we may have something special to reveal!!)
- Sun protection – Sun protection is still just as important as always, since the sun makes your skin age faster than anything else. Don’t forget about your hands, neck and décolletage as they’re affected by the sun as much as your face. Our favourite sunscreen is the Eco All Natural Face Sunscreen.
- Exercise – This not only keeps your bones and muscles strong but it also releases endorphins that make you feel good. Usually if you feel good you get that natural glow.
Product image by Renee Bell
The post What’s going on with your skin at 40? (and beyond…) appeared first on Happy Skincare.