If breakouts have been driving you bonkers and your teenage years are starting to feel like a distant memory, chances are you've got what we like to call 'adult acne' or 'hormonal acne'.
Maybe you have constant breakouts, or maybe you go through a monthly cycle of clear skin/congested skin/healing skin/here we go again? If you answered yes then we think these products can help you out :)
This pack of super-sized samples will give you 2+ weeks supply of our best skin balancing and blemish busting products, and give you a huge helping of "spoil yourself" too (not to mention the free shipping and $10 Next Purchase voucher) :)
This cute little (big) sample pack includes:
3 Cheers Cleansing Oil 15ml
Tickled Pink Perfecting Tonic 15pm
Perfectly Happy Light Anti-Oxidant Cream 12ml
Pig in Mud Mineral Mask for Oily / Combination Skin 4g
And if you really want to try the works and give this skin clearing caper your best shot, these optional extras will help:
Spoonful of Sugar Exfoliating Scrub 20g
Chirpy Charcoal Cleansing Gel 15ml (especially if your skin is oily)
Black Seed Oil 5ml, and
Konjac Sponge (Bamboo Charcoal).
If you haven't discovered Konjac sponges yet, you've been missing out! They're little balls of squishy goodness, wonderful for helping you get your best cleanse and clearing problematic skin by gently exfoliating and stimulating blood flow.
What you need to know about adult acne
Adult acne, hormonal breakouts and pimples – they’re way more common than you think (especially with the gals)!
The biggest culprit is… HORMONES!
Menstrual cycles, coming off the pill, falling pregnant, breastfeeding, menopause and stress all trigger hormone changes where androgens are produced. And this can wreak havoc when it comes to your skin.
You’ll find that hormonal acne is usually in the bottom half of your face, especially around your jawline.
There are some other causes of adult acne and pimples too...
Air pollution – City life is fun but the country air is better for your skin. City pollution can place a layer of crud on your face that clogs up pores faster than a wet wipe flushed down the toilet.
Overdoing the skincare – Yep too much of a good thing is bad. The most common is over cleansing and over exfoliating. You can’t scrub pimples away! Be mindful of using too much makeup too (if your makeup is poor quality, it’s just as bad as air pollution).
Food Sensitivities – The evidence is still a little fuzzy but in our personal experience it plays a role. Now, finding the foods which are an issue can take some time but two common ones are dairy and grains (especially wheat).
Sugar– Sugar spikes your insulin which triggers your body to produce androgens which causes more oil production.
Vitamin deficiency – If you’re missing some key vitamins and minerals from your diet, it can mean breakout city. Some of the vitamins that are closely linked to adult acne are Vitamins A, D, E, zinc and magnesium.
Naturally Oily Skin – Some of us are just a bit unlucky and our skin is naturally oily. The good news is that those of us with oily skin will get less fine lines as we get older.
12 tips for keeping hormonal and adult acne under control
- Always follow your 3 Step skincare routine morning and night, and use the Pig In Mud Mineral Mask twice per week
- Exfoliate 1-2 times per week (your Pig In Mud Mineral Mask doubles as an exfoliator or check out the Spoonful of Sugar Exfoliating Scrub)
- Minimise makeup
- Drink plenty of water
- Exercise (sweating lots helps!)
- Keep your hair clean (don’t over-do the conditioner).
- Change your pillowcase regularly
- Clean your phone (bacteria haven!)
- Get enough sleep. This can be a hard one if you are Mum with little ones.
- Never touch your face (unless you’re doing your morning/night routine or have clean hands)
- You can spray a blemish-fighting toner like Tickled Pink Perfecting Tonic and wipe with a cotton makeup pad during the day if you’re feeling some oil build up. This is also good to do if you work in a city and spend more than 30 mins outside to remove any pollution film.
- Look at your diet and eat as cleanly as possible. Good digestion results in good skin. The 80/20 rule doesn’t work in this case. Even small amounts of the wrong food can be enough. Truth bomb: Even though a food is healthy it still could be a problem!
If you follow these tips and stick to your 3 Step skincare routine (starting with the products in this sample pack), then you'll be on your way to clearer skin.